Monday, October 28, 2019

Beyond Beautiful





So we've had and are having the first substantial cold event of the season.


Had about an inch of snow overnight as well.


Lots of people schlepping around moaning today.


I've got a goofy smile on my face. I'm not too crippled to shovel snow and do chores.


Even though cold, snow, and ice are tough to deal with and make this the season of hard living...


I try very hard (and sometimes succeed) to take Henry David Thoreau's advice to heart.


“Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.”

It's a bit like "suck it up and drive on."


I was forged in the fire of shitty days and ceaseless toil and frequent disappointment flavored with occasional bitter tears.


All part of the adventure.


For some astonishing reason my Dad is very close to me today. There's exactly zero doubt that he's walking with me.




6 comments:

  1. It most certainly is beautiful.

    I grew up with winter, spring, summer, and fall, so I expect it. In fact, I look forward to it.

    I enjoy the snow, in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge. Four seasons is good. I've a feeling we're gonna have a snopocalypse winter this year. Bring it on, I got skills.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. PA,How do you keep the Cattle watered when the tank freezes over like that? It doesn't happen too often down here, but it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things. First of all, because of polarity of the H2O molecule, and more precisely the geometry of the dihydrogen part, water has an astonishing capacity for holding heat. While the surface freezes, as well as a layer around the inside of the tank, the middle 95 percent stays liquid for a long time. The second part is that when the cows drink, the tank refills with 50 degree water, and it takes a long time for the new warm water to cool down, so as long as the cows drink every day and the well replaces the water every day and I have the the ability to chop surface ice -- we're golden. Water is our friend!

      Some water science mixed in with my interminable blather here https://prairieadventure.blogspot.com/2015/12/fundamentals.html

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting Juvat!

      Delete
  3. Not like up here in the Great lakes region, where sometimes Lake Superior freezes to the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya'll crazy folk's got different water up there. Must be all the zebra mussels.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting Scott!

      Delete