Monday, May 29, 2017

I'm Grouchy!





And no, I'm not channeling the famous Emmanuel de Grouchy, Marshal and Peer of France.


Despite the fact that it's a beautiful day here on Nebraska, and despite the fact that nature and my fellow humans keep shoving my face into beautiful and enchanting things...


...I'm irritable and irascible and find myself in a tizzy whenever things don't go exactly to my master plan.

In other words, I'm grouchy.

Sheesh!

Two of the last three cows due to calve had new babies at their sides this morning. That's a great thing. One of the cows was quite possessive and prevented me from tagging, banding and vaccinating her calf, which is really no big deal at all as I can get that chore done later today or even tomorrow. Nevertheless, instead of appreciating a pair of healthy new calves I'm grouchy because I couldn't do things exactly my way.



I think part of the problem is that I'm a bit task saturated, trying to close out calving, nurture the calf that can't get up, plan and execute a long road trip, continue planning the ranch guest house project, get ahead on newspaper stories, and work on my maggie-opie.

But it's mostly that I'm being particularly self-centered.

At least I can abuse my blog readers to make myself feel better! :)

How about something lighthearted and amusing? Ever see a jackrabbit staring down a tractor?


And here is a bit of winter wheat which is headed out and on the verge of flowering.


And this is jointed goatgrass. Boo! Hiss!


Jointed goatgrass is, like wheat, a winter annual grass. So it loves to grow in the same place wheat grows. Unfortunately, it's a weed which steals water and nutrients from wheat and also produces a grain which contaminates the wheat crop and costs the farmer money. But since it's a winter annual grass herbicides that will kill it will also kill wheat. So it's a tough problem for farmers.

Fortunately for me, I'm far too lazy to be a farmer.

Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday!  :)


10 comments:

  1. Love the historical reference, naturally.

    Odd that you would be grouchy today, I am too, bit of a tooth flair up in the night, left knee seems to be permanently in pain, and, to top things off, I damned near bit the tip of my tongue off at lunch. Must be a Monday thing...

    Cheer up, things could be worse, and probably will be.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge. We live for the "probably will be!" :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Grouchy,
    You are not alone.
    Signed, Grumpy
    PS: I got so bad that I had to make a special trip to town to tell a friend I was sorry to have been such a self centered, judgemental, jackwagon of late...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. If you are Grouchy, that means you are not one of the seven; you are also likely too tall. So, change your altitude ( yes, that is the word I meant to use ) and get over it. I expect that by the time you read this comment, your mood will have changed and my advice is not needed.

    Your friend,
    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. It's a work in progress but I'm making some headway. 🤣

      Delete
  4. I am fortunate in being a Badger, as we are known for our cheery attitudes.

    I once was part of a group of a half dozen or so vehicles that were faced down by a Bald Eagle. It was dining on something dead in the road, and refused to do as most birds would, fly out of the way until the cars and trucks had passed. i was at the head of the West bound lane, and I finally turned on my lightbar, ( which the eagle ignored ), and waited for it to leave. It ignored my lights, and various honks on horns from the people waiting. I finally switched the siren on, set for YELP, and the WOOWOOWOOWOO did seem to annoy the eagle enough that it left. But none of us could really do anything about a Federally protected bird, having it's lunch on the center line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that was fun.

      Driving through the Wildcat Hills one day I stopped to let a troop of turkeys pass. With traffic approaching from behind I tooted the horn to hurry the birds along. Which of course caused them to stop in their tracks and try to figure out what that new sound was...

      Delete
    2. Sandhill Cranes, the stupidest of birds, will stand in the road, and gawk at you. Even air horns will not get them to move, until they are good and ready.

      Delete
    3. They make a nice sound flying over. Now I'm glad they never stop!

      Delete