Thursday, June 22, 2017

The damme weather again





I was down hard again yesterday. I'll sure be glad when I'm feeling better.

In the meantime, a few pics from Midway. These are just random crowd shots. For the most part.

Something about the sight and sound of all those civilians swarming through the ship makes me feel good.

SNJ
Brother and sister Hawkeye drivers.
F4F-3 Wildcat, one of the stars of the Battle of Midway in June, 1942. Seventy-five years ago this month.
I'm always surprised at how surprised folks are at the sleeping arrangements.
The Fo'c'sle, nee Forward Castle. I love watching people step over the anchor chain without being struck by lightning.


Young SLUF driver. She's got the look. I can imagine a world in which she's a grizzled aviator giving an interview and relates the moment she decided to join the Navy and fly jets.
Imagine the panic if they came to life and growled!
Beer and Scooters.
Where once the extraordinary was routine.
Beautiful day.
Future Crash & Smash AB?
"This thing shoots 6,000 rounds a minute!"

Gonna be a hot one again today. Here's hoping I can get something accomplished.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics- brings back good memories. Are you still pushing hard on the exercise program Shaun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ron. More to come, POCIL. As for the workouts, either too hard or not hard enough. It'll shake out I suspect.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post and photos. Get well soon and remember, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get on the Midway next time I'm out Sandy Eggo way.

    Great stuff.

    (Get well soon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great museum. I'm a bit biased of course. Tell them you're Retired Air Force and they'll teach you how to chip paint for free (a $9.95 value! And that's not all!).

      You should check out the Flying Leatherneck Museum at Miramar too. I aced the a/c recognition test there so they won't let me go back. Well, that and proving that the MiG-19 has two motors (Bull Meechum Jr.: "But only have wun hole on front!"). Seriously cool little museum.

      I think I'm edging toward well. For some values of, well, well. As it were.

      Delete
  4. Those accommodations and lockers look luxurious, like something in the goat locker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were damme luxurious, but nothing like the goat locker where every Chief had his own individual autodog machine (I feel an asswhipping in my future).

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tour, probably as close as I'll ever get to the real deal.

    Too much caber, ya think! Get well, want me to send you a Kilt Lifter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome.

    Either too much or not enough. It's hard to tell anymore. Kilt Lifter I'll have to try, looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you imagine what would be done to the Kissing Sailor, nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he was really that big he could squash katie couric like a bug and lead the nation in stamping out the antifa cockroach infestation.

      Delete