Sunday, July 19, 2020

Little things





It's often said that living in the moment is the best way to navigate through life. Yesterday is gone and attempting to live there is impossible. Memories are good things to have and explore, but the past is not the present and conflating the two can only lead to a sad outcome. The future is not here and is unknown. It's right and proper to make plans and try to chart a sensible course ahead, but while it's possible to make plans, it's impossible to make outcomes.

Which leaves us with the present, and the present is where we actually exist, whether we like it or not. It's where we have the opportunity to do our best work, to meet and embrace and and work the challenges of life. The present is where we meet with triumphs and disasters and learn to "treat those two impostors just the same."

That's livin', I think.

It's such an astonishing thing to me that Kipling could have penned such a perfect recipe for living.

##########

The other day I was busy and with an important drop-dead deadline if I wanted to ensure moving forward with my medical treatment. I did not have a great deal of time for pop-up challenges.

Nevertheless, I was gifted with a pop-up challenge, one which really needed to be addressed immediately. What to do?



There was not a lot of time, but there was enough time. And even though I wouldn't have chosen to face this particular challenge on this particular day, the challenge and its successful accomplishment were a gift and a blessing.



It might be worth remembering that we ape-lizards are astonishingly good at working through problems.

##########

Yesterday was a day I chose to challenge myself physically. I got stuck in digging thistle. Not the most romantic or enjoyable or exciting job, but a necessary one and a physical one. Accomplishing necessary and physical tasks is important to my wellbeing.



It's a process, and working the process while experiencing interesting variations is also important for my wellbeing. I do blather on a bit... 😧



Thistle digging was a bit of a warm up. Got my heart pumping and the blood flowing. Then it was time to combine some other stuff; important practice stuff with grass-cattle-water scouting and a bit of a nature hike.



I charged across shortgrass prairie and scrambled up the steepest pitch on what I call "Isandlwana Ridge." I was not well pleased with my cardio response but I was pleased to identify a need for more cardio HIIT, which is something I'll try to work in today. In the mean time, it was fun to talk about the good ol' winter glacier which has been long gone from the little valley on the southeast pitch of the ridge.



It was a great hike, replete with challenges and delights. Nature is awesome.



Not all thistle is bad thistle.



At the five-ish mile mark I was hot, tired, hypotensive, hypovolemic, and flagging. It was a great place to be, stuck a mile or so away from the pickup and with little more than "the will" to force my "heart and nerve and sinew" to "hold on." It's a good place to be, and important for my wellbeing. Also, my phone overheated and cut the camera in the midst of making a video. In its own way this was important also.



Finally, back at the pickup after a hard but enjoyable and important experience. I'm afraid I was babbling more than a bit. Good thing I wasn't faced with a firefight! 😱



##########

And on with the next day, which should be today if I post this as planned. Today being July 19, 2020.

As requested, chickens.



Digging thistle is usually more than just digging thistle. Thank goodness!



Wasps! And other challenges. The best and most important challenge is to not fall into the trap of becoming a professional victim.



What's better than hard work? Finishing hard work.



Ground squirrels!



##########

Such a beautiful July day here in Kimball County, Nebraska. Beautiful days are best when cherished, at least in my opinion.

Here's hoping that all of you kind readers are doing well and enjoying your lives. You have no idea at all how much I cherish your visits and the thought that I may be adding some small value to your experience as you walk your own individual paths. You guys rock and you all enrich my life. Thanks so very much!

Be well and embrace the blessings of liberty.




6 comments:

  1. Finally got warm/hot here; I was beginning to wonder if we would have a summer. It may be a while before I view your videos; life, eh.

    Thanks for the post.
    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is endlessly fascinating, which may be why we talk about it so much. Always changing, never matching up well to forecast. All part of the adventure...

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting Paul!

      Delete
  2. Loved the opening lines.
    The best way I know to avoid victimhood is to be grateful for being present.
    It's subtle, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip.

      It feels like a horror to realize so many people refuse to have any context or perspective other than their victimhood. SMH.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Another bounty of bucolic beauty, with some free philosophy.
    I can almost hear John Denver "Thank God I's a country boy" and that's a good thing.
    Okay, we got thistle updates, chickens, fences, but we miss watching Nona and Red herding you along in your endeavors.

    Looks like the thistles around the junk wood was a real bear, but the others minus the wood and wire should go faster and easier- when they get to the top of the list of chores.
    Enjoy this beautiful weather!
    Thanks for sharing.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John.

      I'm blessed to have nature get all up in my grill every single day.

      Red and Nona are feeling particularly lazy now that the Dog Days are with us.

      The simple challenges of physical labor sure help keep me grounded, fit, agile, and thankful. My cup runneth over. I'm enjoying muchly.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete