Saturday, August 26, 2017

Not an expert





I spend a lot of time outdoors in nature.

Although it's probably more time than many modern, first-world humans spend, my exposure to nature is sharply limited. During the time of easy living I may put in 14-16 hour days outside but my year-round average daily outside time is probably more like 4-6 hours.

Location-wise, my exposure is also sharply limited. Nearly all of that time is spent on a few square miles of the ranch. I know the ranch pretty well, and some might say I know it intimately, but that's not really so. I'm very familiar with the geology and topography and surface biosphere and climate, but I know next to nothing about what goes on beneath the surface, or indeed, above the surface. I occasionally visit at night, but more than 99 percent of my active outside time is between dawn and dusk.

I see a lot of stuff and I think about a lot of stuff and over the years I've developed a solid general understanding of the seasonal ebb and flow of the place, of the wide variation that makes every moment distinctly unique within the framework of seasonal and annual norms.

I'm anything but an expert.

I observed what I believe to be another long-tailed weasel yesterday. I took some pictures and shot a bit of video.






This weasel appeared to be quite different from the one I saw last spring.



It was a third again larger, and it's coloration was darker.



A bit more study makes me think that the one I observed last year was a female, and the one I saw yesterday a male. I also think that the one I saw last year may have been near the end of it's winter color change (the white on its face, etc.) while yesterday's example was wearing a full summer suit.



Yet another interesting glimpse into aspects of nature which I know next to nothing about despite my long association with this place.






10 comments:

  1. Handsome little critters aren't they?

    Fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very fun to watch. I'm so fortunate in that I'm no longer on the fun-seeking treadmill, blindly dashing past remarkable things in a quest to force something fun to happen.

      Delete
  2. A solution to your prairie dog problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the first things I thought about, and indeed weasels are known to predate prairie dogs. So are coyotes, badgers, eagles, hawks, rattlesnakes and bullsnakes, etc. However, it seems that predators which eliminate prey are rather self-limiting (who saw that coming?). I'm having some strong second thoughts about the wisdom of trying to impose my will on nature in the case of these prairie dogs. Must be turning into a dope smoking, crystal gripping, tree hugger.

      Delete
  3. I was going to write- cute little critters, but OAFS covered that, so I won't. You are quite good at filming, with your phone I'm guessing. Thanks for the post.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute and entertaining. 99+1 percent of getting good images and video is being there and seeing something to shoot. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Indeed they are cute little critters.
    I sure hope they are not some threatened or endangered species or the whole ranch may be subject to all sort of federal bureaucrat oversight, rules, lawsuits, etc.
    Thanks for sharing!
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is packed full of cool stuff and great experiences abound. When the feds show up the gloves come off. Poison, explosions, trapping, shooting, lasers, photon torpedoes -- nothing is off the table. Thanks for stopping by John.

      Delete
  5. Being predators, they will find the prairie dogs on their own. Even in the full summer brown, you can still see the butter belly.
    You do have a right to defend the health of your herd, and the responsibilty as well. Take your D-9, drive on top of the mound, and spin on one track. They will get the idea that they are unwelcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most recent one has faint traces of bridle markings on the face which I've read is more common in the northwest and uncommon (or perhaps unknown) here. I also think I stumbled across some clarifying information on the one I saw last year.

      Delete