Saturday, February 7, 2015

Playing around for fun and profit



I hope you enjoyed Chris' post from February 5.

It's a kind of exciting thing for me, as a relatively new and unaccomplished blogger, to have a successful published author stopping by occasionally to post.

Speaking of successful and published authors, Chris has a book out on self publishing. I bought it the other night and read it from cover to cover. Well, as cover to cover as you can do on a kindle.

You might be able to see where this is going. Not only am I a new and unaccomplished blogger, I'm an unaccomplished and unpublished author.

If that sentence didn't chase you away I commend you on your courage, though perhaps not on your judgement.

I've got a half-dozen partly-finished novels in my 'lectronic desk drawer. I've been playing around with them for several years with the half-baked intention to "do something" with them someday.

Well, Chris has some great and detailed advice for folks in my situation.

Put together a plan and execute it.

Simple, huh? Why didn't I think of that?

He also notes that the nascent author's worst enemy is him(her)self. "I'm not good enough." "I'm not trained." "I'm not..." "I don't..." "I can't..."



So I'm working on the plan. I'll not go into detail, but part of the plan is to use this blog. I'm still fleshing out my ideas and I'll possibly have to generate a separate, business specific blog. But I'm going to do a little trial and error at this place first.

If you look over at the top of the starboard column, you'll see a heading called "Fiction!" with some (just one right now) links.  If you're so inclined, click and read, then comment. Good, bad, indifferent, all comments will be appreciated.

We'll see how this goes. Plan and execute. Like Clausewitz said, everything (in war) is simple, but all the simple things are hard. I'm down with hard. Hard's good.

Just gotta keep them negative waves locked in the dungeon.


1 comment: