Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Walk on the wild side





It was a gorgeous first day of spring in this part of the world. Warm and with only a light breeze. Meadowlarks singing, calves scampering around, thirteen-lined ground squirrels out of hibernation, grasses greening up, trees budding -- the works. In the afternoon clouds were building in the west with a weather-guesser's promise of a chance of rain.

Having a slow leak in the left front tire of my pickup, I dropped it off at the tire shop for repair. With time on my hands and no wheels I decided to give the LPC's a bit of an excursion.

I thought I'd stroll a couple of miles but by the time all was said and done I'd gone seven. It was just too beautiful to stop sooner.

Come on along... :)



















One downside. At the six-mile mark I started to get hot-spots on the balls of my foots. Wearing the wrong socks you see. By the time I finished I had bilateral big blisters.

Well, stuff happens. What doesn't kill me toughens my feet.

But wait, there's more!

While I was off hiking a calf was born. Sore feet or not, she needed to be tagged. And so she was.


As the sun was fading from the day another cow took herself off to have a baby. Which she had successfully, though it got hip-locked in the pelvis and needed just a bit of manual adjustment to become fully independent.


And now I'm off to bed.

7 comments:

  1. You have a Shopko! Shopko is out of Green Bay! You can't avoid the influence of Badgers on one's life in the Central US! You and I are built very much alike. Bears that have successfully prepared for winter! I bet it feels good to be back hiking again! What was wrong with the tire? I had a slow leak in my F-150's right front tire, and it was the valve stem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have a Shopko. It's... different. But now I understand why! ;)

      Does feel good to get out and hike. Absolutely zero pain or problems with the recently sick heel bone.

      Tire had a nail in the tread and a small puncture in the sidewall, probably from a prickly pear prick.

      Delete
    2. Different is a nice way to describe Shopko. I find them to be slightly odd, myself. It's like taking a trip back to the late '70's.

      Delete
    3. I don't know how ours stacks up against the shopko norm, but it's a bit goofy. Still I buy Nona's food there and occasional odds and ends. They are forever demanding that I take the senior discount and I am forever refusing. I suppose anyone with my attitude is a less than credible source when it comes to reporting on "different" and "goofy."

      Delete
  2. Rambling man!

    Geez, I got winded just watching all that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It were a proper ramble. Foots are feeling a lot better this morning. And there's a cold front moving in to bring us more winter. Life on the high plains!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the post. I will enjoy your movies when I have time to fully appreciate them.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete