Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Just summer stuff





What was the moon phase 53 years ago today? Waxing crescent.

What is today's moon phase? Last quarter.

So, yeah...?

I was in Safeway in Scottsbluff this afternoon when I remembered that it's July 20.

##########

Six hours before Safeway...


##########

After fixing fence I checked cows and found another sick calf, 0009.

I heard him coughing before I saw him. When I looked him over his ears were droopy and he was a little snotty and moving slow. Also breathing fast and a bit laboriously. The owner came right out and darted him with draxxin. That should put him right. We plan to move the cows to the south unit Saturday or Sunday when it's cooler, and that should give him time to feel better before having to trudge a mile or so across a stubble field and down a lane.

##########

After that the littles and I had an exciting Daddy Longlegs hunt while the almost thirteen year old went to swimming lessons. It was starting to warm up by then but it was still cool on the north side of the house and there were dozens of longlegs of all sizes. The little one is fascinated by them and wants one for a pet, however, she's not quite ready to touch or hold one yet. The almost six year old doesn't like them at all and complained mightily every time a blade of grass tickled his leg. "It makes me think there's one on me!" Yesterday he actually did get one on him and it was a rather traumatic experience for him. I didn't get any pics or videos today.

Yesterday, however, I did. This one has a lot of fun (at least for me) detail. At one point the boy scolded the girl for cutting a corner on his 'maginary race track, to which she replied, "I'll do what I want." Shortly after that I thought I heard the boy call his sister the B word. They had a car-trike collision and Sissy said, "Watch where you're goin', Dude!" His response sounded to me like, "Watch out where you're going, b****!" He almost convinced me that he said, "sis." Hmmm.


Later, when it was time to go inside, the boy took it upon himself to put both the trike and the scooter away, and then complained loudly about having to do all the work. I wasn't buying any, and that really made him cross.


Ah, fun times in July.

##########

Be well and embrace the blessings of liberty.




4 comments:

  1. Some of those times in the past when you mentions "checking cows" I thought that was sort of a waste of time, like someone might be rustling them, or predators or something. But, with two sick calves pretty close together, I now realize why you need to check every day. That, and fixing fences all the time. This ranch stuff is starting to sound like actual work!
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. This ranching life is a lot like the navy, believe it or not. Some of it is hard and even unpleasant work for sure. But there are times when the joy of the thing bubbles up and I hear myself say, "I can't believe they actually pay me for this!"
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. A line I heard a few times growing up - "if you've got enough energy and time to complain, then you've got enough energy and time to get more work done". Kinda cools the desire to complain :)
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is, seems to be a universal human thing. These kids teach me awesome lessons!
      Thanks for stoppung by and commenting Frank!

      Delete