Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Too much sitting





I was up and out early this morning, trying to beat the heat by getting the hard(ish) physical work done before the air heated up. Curlycup gumweed was blooming, a certain sign that high summer has arrived, as well as one of the main providers of fine panhandle pollen. Thus yesterday's stuffy head, which continued today but was not as acute since my system is getting used to the assault.

Before I got started working I had to check out signs of activity at an oil well lease on the south unit.


And then I ran into some neighbor cows which are part of a rather glum and potentially sad story.


Now why in the world, you may ask, would anyone in their right mind use a lawnmower to trim weeds around a stock tank in the middle of a shortgrass prairie pasture?


No matter, it needed doing in my estimation and it got done.


I had tank float adjustment next on the dance card, followed by barbed wire tear-out and replacement with heavy duty panels. I knew the barbed wire wouldn't work but I tried it anyway in the interest of saving time. Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

I didn't get any pics or vids of the last two tasks, it was already too hot and I had a deadline to meet, a 1300 departure for Scottsbluff where Mom had a date with the audiologist to get a new hearing aid.

Along the way we picked up birdseed at Menards and stopped by the Ford dealership to schedule some recall work on the F-150.

After the important stuff was done we stopped for a bite at the Tangled Tumbleweed. The menu looked good...


...and the local paper had nice things to say about the joint. Food and service were excellent. The place had an unpretentious, tattooed, younger crowd vibe which I really enjoyed, being myself tattooed and younger. Two out of three ain't bad, baby! Mom had the poutine; she'd been curious about the dish since one of my brothers had described it after a trip to Canadia.


I had the Roma Flatbread which was astonishingly delicious. Salami, roasted Roma tomatoes, cheese, pepper flake, and a balsamic reduction. Couldn't finish it, mostly because it was so rich and filling. Tommy got the leftovers (it's a doggy bag, right?) and thought it was fantastic too.

By the time I got home it was after 7 p.m., so the road trip had been six hours. Most of it sitting down. Too much sitting!

##########

Be well and embrace the blessings of liberty.




4 comments:

  1. Prayers for the neighbor lady, and her care givers. Nasty stuff, but they can save a lot of people nowdays.

    What's that border around the stock tank/pool? First time we have seen that.
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, we're all pulling for a good outcome.
      That stock tank is bisected by a fence line. We can keep the cattle isolated to either side of the fence by closing the appropriate enclosure gate, leaving them with full access to the tank. Alex and I built that enclosure. Someday the kids will be able to touch it and have a direct and palpable connection to something their Mom touched; to stand in the same place and see-hear-smell-taste-feel the same things. Alex loved the ranch and her ashes are there so she's more a part of the place than anyone else. Which is an interesting concept.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed! I took one bite and suddenly felt as if I understood Canada, eh?
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting Chris!

      Delete